Manifesta Owners Oakland Aveda Beauty Salon

Manifesta Owners Oakland Aveda Beauty Salon

Friday, May 2, 2014

Simple Tips for Saving Water

It's not news by now that California has been experiencing a "severe drought." This has been on my mind, especially with all the efforts Manifesta and Aveda partners have been putting forth this past month to save clean water for Earth month. There are a million resources out there for ways in which you can save water, but I thought I’d throw my two cents in there with some of the most practical ways to save water that I have noticed. You might not identify with all of these points, but maybe there is something in here that you will read and say, “Oh! I can do that without much disruption to my everyday life, and I think I will!” At least I hope there is, because then you can feel good about yourself for doing your part (and I can feel good about myself for saying something and someone actually listening).





1. Along those lines, my first piece of advice is to be realistic with yourself on what you can and can’t live without. Just because you don’t want to let your pee sit all day everyday, or give up your 15 minute shower, doesn’t mean there isn’t something out there that does work well for you. One of my friends recently posted an Instagram of her husband washing their cute new car and caught some flack about it because we are in a drought. Washing the car has never been at the top of my personal to do list out of sheer, shameless laziness but I will admit that I like a long hot shower (perhaps for the same reason). Should I cut back on my shower time and should my friend cut out her car washing?  OF COURSE!  But nobody’s perfect, come on. If everyone even made one small reduction, we’d all still be in a better situation than if nobody did. 

2. Give the pee thing a try. What about in your own home? Even when you’re the only one there? What about just in the middle of the night when you probably won't even remember going? Why not pee in the shower and save a flush? No? Okay I get it.

3. If you are lucky enough to have a dishwasher, use it for your dishes. It saves water. And experiment with how fancy your dishwasher is by rinsing your dishes less and less before loading. You can also reuse the same water for rinsing different dishes - rinse out a bowl, pour that water into a coffee mug, pour it into something else, etc.  (But don’t use this method if you are not following it with a dishwasher cycle - that’s totally unsanitary). If you are one of those people who loads filthy, grease covered dishes into a dishwasher without even a quick rinse, congratulations! You are no longer a lazy bum - you are a WATER WARRIOR!  

4. Here's a tip I think everyone can get on board with: When you go out to eat, and you’re not in the mood for water, let the waiter know you don’t want water before he brings the glass out. In this situation, I’m really asking you - the consumer - to take the initiative, even though I think it is APPALLING that more restaurants aren’t already asking for people to actively choose water if they want it. Remember those little table talkers, “Dear valued customer, we are in a drought so we will not blindly bring you water anymore but are happy to provide water if you so desire”?  What happened to those?! Maybe it's just me, but when I have a delicious, organic, hand-crushed, farm-to-table cocktail in front of me, I DON’T WANT WATER! If I start to feel woozy four drinks in, I will ask for a glass of water; but until then, no.  Disclaimer: no judgement on those who do like to drink water with meals or other drinks - water is good for you and one of the best things you can do for it is drink it!  More power to ya babe.  

5. Okay last thing, and this one I’m serious about.  NEVER, EVER, EVER let the water run for no reason! Not before a shower, not while doing dishes, not while washing your car, watering your plants, brushing your teeth, or filling your water bottle.  I’m not suggesting that you necessarily jump into a cold shower before giving it time to warm up (although supposedly that is good for you - who knew? That, I think, qualifies as a reason to let the water run. But don’t turn on the water, leave for five minutes and then come back and get in! I’m saying, get naked, turn on the water, wait with your hand in the stream for it to get hot, and then get in. Same with doing the dishes - turn on the water, suds up your dish, turn off the water, scrub and then turn it back on again to rinse. Yes it is a SLIGHTLY inconvenient extra step and you might have to wipe dish soap off your handle when you’re done, but come on. If you can do one tiny thing to make one tiny difference in this situation, make it that one.

Okay so that’s what I have to say about that. Please feel free to write back with comments, suggestions, criticisms, or even practical water saving tips of your own! And if my agua-related post inspired you at all, take the extra step by helping Manifesta and Aveda partners raise money for the the Clean Water Fund when you buy one of our limited edition Light The Way candles! Or check out the Aveda Trashion Show on May 4th!





1 comment:

  1. The drought that Cali experienced back then was really bad. I hope the unfortunate event helped a lot of people to be more wary of the way they use their water. The tips you provided might seem new and out of the ordinary to a lot of people, but they definitely are few of the best ways to help conserve water. Thanks for sharing that for everyone to read. All the best! :)

    Lorenza Coon @ Central Basin

    ReplyDelete